Friday, October 30, 2015

Sophomore "sonnets": chicken and cheese and other loves

We're currently reading A Midsummer Night's Dream in 10th grade English. Today we looked at sonnets and then attempted to write some of our own. Here are a few of the results...

For starters, my personal favorite:

Chicken is good to me
Greasy legs that I love
Feel like I'm a chicken
So good that I feel like a dove
O, chicken chicken
Better than fruits
O, chicken chicken
Love chicken better than Fruity Pebbles
O chicken
So good
O chicken
Make me pop the hood
Yum o yum
Yum


A more serious take:

As the air grows colder and colder,
The leaves of trees turn from green to red
The colors tell you they are getting older
It just tells me the will soon be dead
From yellow to orange to brown
Seeing the leaves change is stunning
But, it's a shame to see them fall to the ground
But, this means money will be running
Animals gather for the cold.
Grass stops growing and turns brown.
And colorful flowers no longer mold.
The cute little birds no longer make a sound
Thus autumn is just like a stage of life.
Thus, let's enjoy before we die by knife.


More of the 75% of the "sonnets" about food:

Fried cheese is the best
It's so delicious and crunchy
It was hard to finish the rest
But mmmmm! munchy munch munchy
So yellow and hot
Just ready to be eaten
I mean, how could you not?
That cheese just has to be beaten
Obviously I love to eat cheese
I don't know who wouldn't
I always ask for more and end my question with please!
But Mom said I couldn't
Come join the cheese gang
It'll hit your stomach with a bang

(We had some trouble coming up with rhymes for "crunchy" on that one.)


Some commentary on my assignment (and perhaps classroom discipline):

It is hard to write a poem
There are different steps you have to take
You could write about a totem
Or write about someone with a rake
You also have to make sure it rhymes
It has 14 lines in it
It doesn't have to take a long time
And that you sit
There can be tons of things in it
You can write about love
And would be good if you have a lot of wit
Or you can write about a dove
Whatever you write about it
Make sure it doesn't make someone want to spit


Some more prettiness:

The sky is so big and vast
And wide like the ocean blue
It has been this way since way in the past
So this phenomenon is nothing new
It changes color with the time of day
From blue, to red, to pink, to black
From dusk to dawn it carries on this way
And every time it changes back
The sky is a wondrous thing
It has many hidden mysteries
The sky surrounds the Earth like a ring.
It's one of the amazing commodities.
The sky is forever a part of the Earth,
It has been here way before human birth.


I think this one gave up on the volta:

I have to go to school
to get my education
It's not really that cool
but I don't want a bad reputation
I have to get my books
grab all my pencils
my head is going into loops
I'm going to use all my utensils
I have to get my diploma
Graduate with all A's and B's
I want to be a better persona
Then take a picture and say cheese!
Boom Boom
The end! <3

(I tried to tell her that "books" and "loops" don't rhyme. Apparently she didn't take to that.)


This one strikes me as a rap:

Money is the option
Success is the key
To travel to the islands and tropics
And see the sea
Hustle is the way
Move in my pace
Striving for the Great
Leaving my trace
My goals are set
I have to reach them
I accomplished the best
Reaching the rim
Striving for Great
Stay out of my way.


And some more ambition:

I have hopes and dreams
I hope one day to do big things
But it doesn't include a team
That includes earning a wedding ring
Males these days only want to be pleased
My mom say you don't need nobody
They consider money as cheese'd
Cuz every guy want a gurl that's pretty
Maybe love isn't worth my time
I look to the future for my love
It seem to everybody falling in love is a crime
I hope to dream just because
To me I don't really care.
I just hope one day somebody there


A more traditional subject:

Loving you was honestly hard
You really had my heart
Buying me things like cards
At a little mart
But you played me like a deck of cards
My friends were really right about you
Kinda like the king of hearts
You played me like a foo'
Being together was amazing
I knew it wouldn't last long
Kinda blazing
But here's my song
Things are different now
I finally found my vow


I think this young man took my divisions between the sections to heart a little too much:

I watched the game.
The player scored off the board.
The game was lame.
At the end their mascot roared.
I love eating ham
I also like eating chips
But I love grape jam.
And taco dip
My mom makes me do chores
I like going outside
Her favorite class is choir
Their mouths are very
My brother is very tall
He also likes to play basketball

(Or perhaps that is what happens when you overly fixate on rhyme.)


And now, some life reflection to send everyone off:

The life we live,
The decisions we make
The love we give
The collisions we take
Our choices do not define us
The actions we choose to take
The noises all around us
The reactions we make
If you have regret
Life is not a game
The way we met
Life can sometimes be a shame
Respect is earned not given
This heartful text I'm sending


Cheers,
Anneke




No comments:

Post a Comment