Sunday, August 2, 2015

Drive-in Milkshakes - Welcome to America

This week was a bit of an odd one. We had professional development, setup, and registration at school Monday-Thursday and then Saturday. (We still worked Friday, of course, but not technically required.) After the blur of making it to Thursday, and feeling somewhat off kilter, we decided to go for milkshakes Thursday night.

Which brings us to sitting in the Sonic drive-in Thursday, circa 8:30, reading over the menu.

Me: "Half price milkshakes after 8pm!"

David: "That's a lot more reasonable than 2am-4am, like at Steak and Shake."

Me: "Did you know, that was also 2pm-4pm."

David: "Then why didn't we go then?!?!"

Me: "I tried. I guess it doesn't have the same allure for college students."

Which of course brought back 2am Steak and Shake runs. That time I went to sleep, got back up from 2am-4am, and then slept a couple more hours before getting up for class. That time before Christmas vacation my flatmates and I dyed our hair, got milkshakes at 2am, and then I slept 45 minutes before my flight back to Tokyo.

The thing is, none of those times were entirely voluntary, or at least entirely my idea. I had always told myself it was one of those insane things American college students did, and I went along with it as a friend.

And then Thursday night, David and I went out and got milkshakes (okay, actually Blasters) at 8:30pm. And we got fries to boot! And we sat in the drive-in.

Maybe I'm finally turning into an American.

First day of school tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment