Saturday, October 3, 2015

From crackers to volleyball

Last week Friday, an unidentified student in one of my classes threw crackers at my back whenever I turned to write on the board.

This week Friday, the same class attempted to play hide-and-go-seek and have dance parties in the back corners.

But you know what? Somehow I am feeling better about life. Not that I wasn't a sobbing mess Wednesday, wallowing in self-pity. But Thursday was better. And Friday was fine. And I made it to the weekend. One more week until fall break and we head up north!

Thursday afternoon, 7th and 8th periods, the high school had "free play," meaning volleyball and basketball in the gym, various activities outside, concessions, games, etc. Instead of getting me out of any class, this took over my planning periods, which originally kind of annoyed me. I mean, instead of getting work done, I had to stand and watch teenagers--the same teenagers who generally seemed to feel animosity towards me. For the first hour, I was stationed inside, watching the games table. A bit boring. But the second hour, someone took over the games table, and I wandered outside.

Outside, I discovered another world. Yes, we were standing in a parking lot. But there was a bit of woods on the other side, and the weather had turned lovely overnight--the sun shone through the leaves, and the wind blew pleasantly. Students stood and ran around laughing. It was beautiful to just STAND there. And then one of my students pulled me into playing volleyball on her team. And I had FUN. WITH MY STUDENTS. DOING SOMETHING BESIDES SCHOOL. Maybe they don't hate me; they just hate school.

Earlier that same day I actually had a student THANK ME. For giving her a handout with all the vocabulary words and definitions. And the next day, the same girl told me she had used the Quizlet I had set up to study at home! And she felt good about the upcoming test!

Friday my classes typed up their essays and peer reviewed. I gave them a form, with spots for 2 reviewers, each listing 2 things "you did really well" and 2 things "you could make even better." Therein lay my mistake. The tenth graders wrote memoirs, so a few girls misinterpreted the second question, giving me responses like

"You could stop putting a lot of trust in people."

and

"You could have beat her up! LOL!"


And now, for some other student work (this week, more of the thoughtful and less humorous variety):


After reading The Glass Castle...

Q: Is the Walls family a good or bad family?

A: There's no such thing as a good or bad family. Every family has a different personality, a different mindset, a different way of living. Some families believe in tough love. Give you obstacles that challenge you to get you ready for the real world. Some families believe in the easy way for their children so: 'My kids will have everything I didn't have when I was younger.' Parent who's willing to basically fight every obstacle their child has! Some families might think their way of living or acting is good; others might think it's sad. Everyone has a reason behind the way their family is.


After reading part of Kaffir Boy...

Q: What scene was most memorable? Why?

A: The scene when the woman explains her dead son [he is stabbed after joining a gang]. It's memorable because events like this happen in America to African American males.

Q: How does the voice of Ms. Walls in The Glass Castle compare to the voice of Mr. Mathabane?

A: Their voice is very different. Ms. Walls' was more soft and innocent in the beginning and turned into understanding towards the end, the boy's voice was aggressive in the beginning and compassionate at the end.

A: They both have crazy parents that kind of affect their life in a bad way. Yet they have some kind of love in the story.

A: The fathers in both stories are both reckless and don't care about nobody else but themselves.

A: The voices have a similar tone on how somebody tried to ruin their life and that someone always wanted them to be better.

A: I think they're the same because they both are striving to do better, and achieve more than what their parents were doing. Both authors want to live a better life; whether it's to make their parents happy or themselves.


After looking at the American ideal of freedom all quarter...

Q: What is one way you are free?

A: Ways I think I am free is that I get the opportunity to go to school every day. Even though I don't appreciate it as I should. Some kids don't get the opportunity to go to school when they want to. Another reason is that I get the chance to see my family every day I wake up.


Today is another beautiful fall day. We made it through the summer I thought would never end. Off to get donuts and coffee before a spot of grading and planning! Maybe we'll even go to a park, now that it's possible to exist outside without sweating (I slept in a sweatshirt last night!).

Love to all,
Anneke





1 comment: